Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Confidence is key

A woman at the talent show said her life is so full of responsibility with work and kids that it was nice to have something that was just for fun. She and two other women did a dancing/karyoke number to Dancing Queen. It was funny and looked fun.

Before the talent show, Matt said 'Confidence is key' and for him that meant preparation. he practiced and practiced and had his song memorized. He went up to the piano and didn't even open his music and he played it flawlessly. I was so proud of both he and Michael. Michael too practiced his song though he regreted not picking a more difficult one. As a result he was a little embarrassed.

As we convened at Tony's Pizza afterward, I told him to be proud, and not to take anything out on himself. He could be proud - look at all the people in the audience that didn't get up there. He seemed to understand - focus on the positive and take from this 'I'll choose to do things differently nex time' but DON'T take the experience out on yourself.

They both vowed to do the talent show next year - so that's an encouraging sign.

As for my experience, I went last which was an excruciating wait, but the talent show was hokey enough not to take it too seriously. Besides it was mostly kids.

I was nervous but I played my song pretty well - though I didn't make much eye contact with the audience. And I took my own advice, I was proud and vowed next time to engage the audience a little more and to not cut the song a little short (I cut off the last chorus). But I was proud and Michael even said I was the best one in the show.

Which seguays nicely into a question Doug asked me in regard to a conversation we were having about critiques - 'Would you rather have people tell you you are good, even if your music sucked?' YES. We laughed and laughed.

An original song is Soul Bearing. Be Kind.

I too may do the talent show next year - so I take that as a good sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment