Saturday, November 7, 2009

Anything is possible

I have a dream and I am not talking about racial equality. I have a dream to write a hit song (or two) and collect 1, big fat paycheck. But there are plenty of naysayers out there. When I played my CD for my sister she commented on my "strained" voice and tried to back track by saying folk singers don't need good voices anyway. Gee thanks.

My piano teacher, who has actually been pretty supportive, told me the CD was good but he added it's more like a "demo" CD - in other words not final quality. He doesn't think I have a chance in the cutthroat music business - to succeed.

My husband Doug, though supportive, says little.

Still I hold onto the dream of unlimited prosperity from my songs. It's fun and makes me feel like anything is possible, because you never know.

My kids ask me if my songs have been on the radio, yet. Or when will they be on? Are they naive or believers?

Anything is possible, anything. And I am grateful to the man who helped me produce the CD - he said I have a gift. Now I don't take myself TOO seriously but that was a real compliment from a real musician.

Unrelated thoughts

  • I have been feeling some tension in my face between my eyebrows and remembered several years ago when a friend said I looked SO relaxed at an Xmas party, remarking my new job must be going really well. (That was after 2 Cosmos at a local bar prior to the party).

  • The dogs are playing and getting along after several months of getting to know each other. I've seen the 14 year old Tia chasing Toto in the yard, barking her deaf bark. They've also been seen nuzzling each other's various parts.

  • Michael wondered if he'd get swine flu after drinking out of the same cup as Daniel - YES. He brought another cup up to the bathroom but it was too late. All of us have had H1N1 except Doug.

  • I remember when we settled on Michael's name before he was born and my mother-in-law asked us how we would spell that, which kind of struck me as asking how would someone spell Bob. Mikail is now 12.

  • I notice my neighbor who gets v. agitated at speedy drivers when her kids are out playing, drives as fast as anyone. Ironic, no? but we do tend to see our own flaws in someone else. So what does this commentary say about me?

  • I signed up for the church talent show figuring at any rate it would be something to write about. Also, I was thinking it might be inspiring to the boys - Michael and Matt are both playing the piano! I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Galen (or is that Gailean?) - I do think you have a chance to make it as a singer/songwriter. I mean, people do it all the time, and they're regular people - with songs that are nowhere near as good as yours. So, chin up, gal - as we've said, you only need that one person...

    xo

    ReplyDelete