Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sleeping for science

Matt's interest in a summer sleep study was peaked with the promise of compensation. While visions of cell phones and God knows what else danced in his head, Doug and I wondered how much they could possibly be talking about to make it worth it. But we already decided it would have to be thousands for the inconvenience.

The research lab tries to make the experience sound fun - like summer camp, only indoors in a hospital setting. It sounds arduous to me. First you have to get on a sleep schedule at home - in bed at 10 p.m. and out by 8 a.m. for two weeks. O.K. that's not so bad but Doug and I don't want to stay up until 10 a.m. with him to make sure he calls in etc. Other required items - sleep diary, phoning lab before bed and upon waking, and wearing a wrist monitor. And half way through the at home portion there is a required lab visit. Also required are two consecutive overnight visits. With orientation, that's four round trips to Providence, but who's counting. Finally participants will live at the lab for seven days and nights.

Matt was reading the materials carefully and asked me what "scalp" meant. That's one of the places where they attach sensors and wires, in addition to the face, shoulder, and side. Still it doesn't sound so bad - meals, arts and crafts, fames, movies, naps, simple performance tests - all in a camp-like environment.

EXCEPT: Visitors are not allowed during the 7 day stay. Cards and letters are O.K. Now with today's postal service you would have to begin mailing any cards and letters a week in advance.
There was no mention of email or phone calls . . . Also, participants must stay indoors during the most beautiful time of the year. Finally, and this is the big one, after the first night, subjects will be on an altered sleep-wake schedule.

This casually mentioned item sounds tortuous to me (remember infant feedings?) and I don't think 9-11 or 15-16 year olds would like it either.

Unrelated thoughts

  • I heard someone on the radio speaking about Salve Regina University - pronouncing "gina" like the tail ending of "vagina" - very strange.
  • Leading a bus tour long ago in Bermuda - I spoke of a department store called Trimingham's and remarked "It's ubiquitous, like McDonalds." Then I heard someone from the back of the bus ask "Do they sell hamburgers?" Well Trimingham's is no more but that always makes me smile.
  • One of my sons said emphatically after seeing the commercial, "We are definitely seeing Alice In Wonderland."
  • One of my sons said emphatically "I want that!" while perusing a magazine. When I asked, "What is it?" he said "I don't know but I want it!" When I explained they were items for golf, including some electronic device - he explained he likes golf and wants to play . . . the wonders of advertising.
  • One rainy day, Daniel said more eloquently than I can remember "I like getting under my covers and hearing the rain. It's like music that puts you to sleep."

No comments:

Post a Comment