Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Catchy phrases and tunes

Tia Louisa . . . .on her last legs.

Michael has what he calls catch phrases and he gets upset if his brothers use one. These are phrases like 'Touché,' 'Jiffy Mix,' and 'Ho, Ho, Ho Green Giant (sung).' They are usually said as a punch line in a non-sensical way. Silly, sure. But he's still only 12. He also has his own running top 40 songs that consist of songs with very few words like: 'The Banjo Blues' repeated over and over again. You get the idea. I can't remember any of the other songs but he told me just now that one is called 'Stone crab.'

It got me thinking about my own catch phrases and catchy tunes. With the kids I say things like "Find something to do" when they are loitering like flies or "Je ne sais pas" when I've had one too many questions. Inspiring - no, memorable - perhaps. I don't seem to have cliché phrases I use but there's still time.

But songs, oh yes, I have songs. Theme songs for each dog, including Sassy who is deceased. It's kind of a French folk song - 'You're my little Sassy Lu, little girl, little lu, ohhhhhhhhhh.' Tia's song is more of an opera theme with soaring vocals - 'Tia Louisa, ba, ba, ba, bum . . .' Toto doesn't have a song yet but he will and Tia's song may fade as she is being 'put down' this evening.

The boys all have songs as well and I make them up as I go to the same recurring tune. 'Michael Gordon. What are you eating? That's for dinner. Michael Gordon.' I find it very funny but mostly they just roll their eyes.

I don't know that I can translate the tunes to writing but they very well may be snippets from others songs but not something very obvious where I could say "It's to Jingle Bells."

And of course I created baby songs like 'Sweet Potato' and 'You're my sweet little baby child.'
So perhaps Michael is just doing what comes naturally. It runs in the family.



No comments:

Post a Comment