Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Celebrating Valentine's Day, or not . . . .

When Daniel saw this envelope just like this, he said "Why red?"

When I got together with my musician friends the other night I reminded them "don't be stupid" in regard to Valentine's Day. These men were discussing the commercial nature of the day and contemplating dropping the holiday altogether.


Kudos, I guess, to the couples that avoid the commercial pressure and skip celebrating Valentine's Day altogether. One colleague said, "It's Valentine's day here, every day" referring to her household. They don't celebrate.


Another acquaintance makes a habit of celebrating two days later.

I do know it has become a commercial conundrum akin to Mother's Day (originally called Merchant's Day) and Father's Day but how can you not cave into the pressure to tell someone you love them? It doesn't mean you have to buy stuff or spend a lot. Saying you love someone is a good thing - assuming it's true. A good thing. We all need people who love us, even for a day.

I bought Doug some chocolates but a chocolate craving on Sunday had me digging into one bar of dark chocolate - so I gave him two-thirds of the bar a day early before I consumed it entirely. Once he had eaten that and was rummaging around like old Mother Hubbard for more dessert - I came through with the chocolate orange - present #2 - fully intact, I might add.


"I wouldn't eat both your Valentine's Day presents, I explained. Planning ahead can be dangerous when it comes to chocolate, so I was lucky.


I suppose if you and your significant other both agree not to celebrate Valentine's Day, it's O.K., it's fine but I found myself pining a little for a nice bouquet of flowers that night - a day or so after I ate Doug's chocolates.

Unrelated thoughts


-"I wish my girl was this dirty" - seen on a dirty white pick-up at URI.

-Speaking of vehicles, I miss real bumpers.

-Sorry but I don't think men in clogs is a good look.

-Booze cakes - headline in the food section. No thanks.

-From Daniel, the source of most of my inspiration in my socially deprived world. "There are three people in my class who are the best people. One is me and the other are girls . . . Elizabeth and Catherine." Why I wondered. "They can read really well."

-In the blessing in disguise department, my parents have priced themselves right out of a nursing home in RI.

No comments:

Post a Comment