Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My layoff is imminent

"Your money is running out. I'm going to have to dump you after march. The music stopped and you don't have a chair." So said my boss and so said my layoff is immiment. Now I don't want to bum anybody out, but I like this job. And yes, I knew that it was temporary - fueled by stimulus dollars. But I did a good job, a damned good job and I am feeling sorry for myself today. So I figured writing about it may help me sort things out. What can I do now?

  • Create the garden of my dreams. The kind of garden where nary a week grows and little old men are seen scratching the dirt to prevent any stray seeds from sprouting.
  • Volunteer to be a chaperone for Michael's trip to D.C. in May. He would love this.
  • Write a damn good novel.
  • Finish a damn good album #2.
  • Give myself a royal break for a year, or however long unemployment lasts with no goals and no expectations. Like a sabbatical without the pressure of accomplishment.
  • Get megafit - walk, swim, bike daily.
  • Spend the summer with the boys going to the beach each day.
  • Help get my parents situation sorted out OR not.
  • Complete household projects like painting the heating baseboards or sanding that little patch of wall filled with spackle and painting it over.
  • Train at the food pantry and become a regular volunteer.
  • Follow my bliss.
  • Look casually for other jobs. There's not much out there and I don't want to sound like a deadbeat but I really don't want to get locked into a regular 9-5 job with 2 weeks of vacation. I would rather pick up a few projects - one potential contract w/ DOH comes to mind for $30K/year. I have a couple other ideas. String a couple of these together and I would have a nice salary without being boxed in.

  • I think the best answer is to do things that bring me joy. Some of the things on this list don't feel like joy but chores. Joy. Joy. Joy. That sounds like the best idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment