Sunday, May 2, 2010

What I learned on my vacation

  • On my vacation with the three boys and one husband, I realized almost immediately that 'vacation' is a very loose term - especially when you travel with kids.

  • From day one I also realized that the volume of food the three boys eat in a day is extraordinary. And much more than I realized.

  • It's not work per se that is stressing me out - it's more the combination of children and work.

It all had me thinking about what is the ideal family vacation? I actually think we already know/have this down (exotic locales aside). It's a couple of weeks at the beach where the boys know and have friends to play with. In other words the ideal family vacation involves kid occupation and adult relaxation. There's gotta be something for the kids to do sans adults and vice versa. Sweet Matunuck is coming this August for two whole weeks though Michael did say the trip to Florida was awesome. I have had awesomer. He also said Matunuck is his favorite thing in the whole world. I guess he wins either way.

Though someone suggested a resort vacation with kid activities may be the ideal vacation, I am not big on the artificial, contained environment.

Yes I have had awesomer vacations sans kids. Sorry guys, it's just the way it is - the energy, the noise level, the responsibility for meals. I can actually be more relaxed at home drinking a beer (or two) on the front porch in the dappled sunshine - as the boys play in the yard. Their muted voices blend with the song birds and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment