Monday, May 31, 2010

This side of paradise

After five days in Bermuda, with the bluest water you've ever seen, flowering shrubs everywhere, and truly white/pink powdery sand - Rhode Island indeed looks kind of drab. Now I've always thought Rhode Island was a pretty place, but it is indeed all relative. Rhode Island is more of a palette of green. Oh and did I mention Bermuda has topography with sweeping views of the sea. I said to my Aunt who grew up in Bermuda, I don't know how you can even swim in our ocean or step on our sand, if you grew up with this. She never gets tired of the beauty, she said. She always appreciates it. The trip made me want to get some more flowering plants in our yard. It also had me wondering - what are we doing living here?

I fell in love with a man from Bermuda once and going back I think at least half of that love was the magic of the place. The beauty is extreme. That and also it's like a second home for me - my mother is Bermudian. It feels like going home.

Some things noticed while away

  • The babysitter couldn't believe the volume of eating posted by the three boys. Get a piece of banana bread while it's hot or you won't get any.
  • I couldn't believe one of my son's constant talking upon return, still can't.
  • I felt impatient and uptight compared to the Bermudians I met. Living in a beautiful, laid back place certainly has impacted their personalities in the best way. And they are very friendly to visitors.
  • Doug and I were both kinder and more loving while away with just the two of us and no interruptions. He helped me with my bag, asked me if I wanted a muffin, there was the occasional touch on the knee . . .you get the idea.


Unrelated thoughts

  • Daniel took out a video of Roots from the library. Now this mini-series has certain sentimental value for me because it was all over the television when I was 11 years old. I just happened to be in the hospital for quite a length of that run and was absolutely captivated by the characters and story. Viewing it today, it all looked a little, I'm sorry, cheesy. The fake accents and acting just seemed way overdone.
  • I am taking lessons from a friend with a blog who wrote about gardening and said 'a little each day.' I am taking the same approach - otherwise gardens and life can be a little overwhelming. A little each day - so weeding or whatever isn't drudgery.
  • I am still debating about what is the right approach with children - drive/push them to excel or let them find their own motivation. I suppose it is my self-perceived lack of achievement that wants more for them. In terms of athletics, you may be very, very good at a sport but that doesn't last too long. There are countless stories of excellent high school athletes whose 'careers' end with graduation.
  • Michael ran the 400 meters in something like 67 seconds at a track meet. While waiting for the track bus to arrive at the school, I ran the 400 in 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Don't think I ever could have run as fast as him even in my prime . . .
  • The 'Boy who runs in chinos' has remembered his track uniform most days but did run in heavy blue jeans at a practice once or twice. I told him about swimmers who double up their suits in practice so they can feel sleek and fast in the meets with one suit.

  • Good god, speaking of swimming. An 80+ year old friend wrote a book about swimming which I enjoyed very much. I enjoyed the tips for my lap swimming and the anecdotes about his life. The good god part is this - did you know that swim teams in the early years of swimming practiced in the nude? He said this in his book. Hence, the men and women's teams did not practice together. I must ask him about it when I see him. "I enjoyed your book very much. Did you really swim in the nude?" This was at Brown no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment