Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Family - a portrait in textiles by Daniel

Above: Toto. Below: The rest of the family

Well what to you think of this family portrait? I have a couple of observations. First Danny and Matt look approximately the same even though they are almost 5 years apart. I think Daniel must see himself this way - on par with his older brother - which explains how advanced he is at such a young age. Likewise for Michael and Dad, who look approximately alike but are almost 35 years apart - although Michael has 2 more strands of hair. It is interesting to note that both Michael and Doug have blond hair. Doug has never had blond hair - in fact his hair is mostly gray or non-existent at this point. I think some of my observations are a reflection on the variety of materials available i.e. there was no gray yarn. OR, gasp, no one else in kindergarten has a parent with gray hair.

I have the most hair with three full strands of black hair and Daniel has clothed me in fashionable khakis with a nice floral shirt. Yes, I would wear something like this.

I also like how I am the most prominent person in the photo - rising or hovering slightly above the masses.

While Dad and I are smiling, the boys have very flat expressions. Perhaps that's a reflection on their recent lists of chores . . .or their boredom, I am not sure.

The biggest omission in the portrait is Toto - and he is Daniel's most favorite thing in the whole world, so I have included a recent photo above.

Unrelated thoughts

  • We received a direct deposit in the amount of $158.13 from FEMA for our flooded basement. What this is for, I am not sure. Possibilities: My 2-3 hours of time dealing with FEMA, gasoline for the water pump, cleanup supplies at Home Depot, disposal costs at the local dump. Frankly, I was grateful to receive anything but when I heard a friend's elderly, low income parents only received $1,000 for a completely flooded basement including a destroyed burner and washer/dryer, I was a little disheartened.

  • FEMA also told me they recognize what a difficult time this was for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment