Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Scene II

I was feeling giddy with excitement when I schlepped out to retrieve the paper the next morning.


Horoscope

The things you really want are interconnected. Make health your top priority and other unrelated personal goals are attained in the process. It's a cheerful, high energy night.


Wow. This is just what I need, a little direction, I thought. Immediately, I picked up my feet a little higher and strode a little faster on my way back into the house.


After a shower, coffee, getting dressed (not necessarily in that order) I eventually got to work - thinking the whole non-descript ride about the excitement of losing 20 pounds. Though I wasn't exactly sure what my unrelated personal goals were - I would attain them all with health and fitness. Perhaps a job I loved. A man of my dreams. What else? The world was my oyster.


I would walk/jog at lunch and not eat. I would hit the gym after work. I would have a salad for dinner and no alcohol. (I'll see about that last one).


I had made up my mind and very little work got done that morning as I day dreamed at my desk about getting fit. And I quickly realized if I didn't initiate work in the form of conversations, emails, phone calls - I received none in return. Do nothing and have nothing to do.


In the midst of a very good day dream - picturing my rippled abs as I strode the shoreline in my bikini - Brad popped his head in.


We were friends, no more but occaisionally I sensed some subdued flirting.


He was over six feet tal, fit, nice, funny but I had been in countless seminars warning employees not to get involved with a fellow employee. And he was a fellow alright. So I didn't pursue it or give him any encouragement. Apparently, he had other ideas.


"Wanna get a bite for lunch?" he asked.


"Oh, gee thanks. I have something going on today. Maybe another time."


"What about a drink after work," Brad asked.


"Oh boy, you caught me on a bad day."


"O.K. That's too bad. Dinner?" he asked coyly.


I shook my head no and had a big frown on my face. He tried to remain upbeat but walked away a little dejected.


Immediately, my friend Terry from the next cube popped her head up.

"You stupid idiot. How many times have I heard you whine there are no decent guys and here's one asking you out and you don't take the bait. Why did you say no?"


I didn't give Terry an answer but scurried after Brad. "Do you exercise?" I asked.


"Well, sure what did you have in mind?" he replied.


"Do you wanna walk at lunch?" I asked shyly. "How about 12:30?"


"O.K." and he smiled. It was a real, genuine, handsome, knock you off your feet smile.


I didn't know when he would eat but I didn't care. I would be multi-tasking and that was very productive indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment