Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Old and Young

After whining about the weather (more snow), I talked about attitude and took a vote. "Is this glass half full or half empty?" I chided those who did not vote at all. One boy said he voted twice. "You may have a career in politics," I heard myself say into the microphone to congregational laughter. This attitude discussion seguayed into a mid-life crisis discussion by way of - when people reach a certain age and think their glass is half empty. "What is a mid-life crisis anyway?" Kids say the darndest things. "It's when people are old and depressed." Yes, yes. Now these apostles were too young for that but what if they had a mini-life crisis and were a little grumpy - what could they do? Dance. Play Wi. Read. Watch a funny movie. Talk to someone. Think happy thoughts. Pray - we were in church afterall. All very good suggestions to pull us out of a mood. Now God help us to see our glass as half full because an attitude of gratitude does make a difference.

Unrelated thoughts(the best kind)

  • When Matt asked how to write a cursive J it came to light that Matt signs his initials 'MJM' because otherwise "It just looks like alot of squiggling lines."
  • "What is that thumping?" asked Daniel in a good immitation of me, as I apparently thumped my foot on the floor while playing my guitar.
  • When Daniel asked me my favorite animal and I said dog, then cat - he said, "No, no not something that's a pet." "Mom's favorite animal is a blue footed boody" he repeated around the house after I gave a non-pet answer.
  • Daniel's favorite joke these days is "Spell icup." I think my reply is equally funny - "E-Y-E-C-U-P." But he doesn't get it because I don't think he knows how to spell eye.
  • A couple things I've done lately outside my comfort zone - give the Children's Sermon at church (to rave reviews - see excerpt above), skiing downhill on intermediate slopes in single digit weather. It's all kind of exhilarating and seemed to feed some joy. Next up, I shall try painting a wave with other wine drinking ladies at a friend's painting studio. I don't think I've painted since kindergarten. And that was with my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment