Friday, January 1, 2010

A room of my own

I’ve decided I need a room of my own but where that room will be yet I don’t know. I’ve even contemplated turning our walk-in closet into an office. Or better yet converting the garage into living space. Or further still, building myself a little outbuilding. I shall have my own office/my own room in time. I need one. I feel like I have no privacy or uninterrupted time. I have resorted to hiding my gloves, neck warmer, and hats in rarely used coats in the closet lest they be worn by others. I want my own stuff and living in a family can get a little too communal sometimes. Is that too much to ask?

I have a shelf in the kitchen that says ‘Mom’s shelf: Do Not Disturb’ and for the most part that mandate is respected. But if my calculator is gone – watch out.
Yes a room of my own. Perhaps I can keep my hats and gloves in there too.


Unrelated thoughts

-With Christmas over, I was really thinking that I wanted to do something different next year like go skiing at a kid-friendly resort in Vermont. When I let this slip out, the kids seemed devastated. Hmm. Do I do what I want to do or what they want to do? I need a change and I know I will wish I was away at Christmas time next year.

-Speaking of regrets, a few days ago I was thinking that I had a lot of regrets in my life with the full realization that this is not productive thinking. How would my life have been different if I had been an English major? How would my life be different if I had gone to law school? On and on. Part of me wishes I had an established, successful career with recognition to boot. But alas I know I am meant to be here right now just as I am. Perhaps in my next life I will focus early and know exactly what I am meant to be and become it.

-I was reminded the other day whilst story telling how easy it was shopping for my prom dress compared to my two sisters. My mother looked at me stunned after we picked out a dress in what seemed like five minutes and said something like “Wow, that was easy.” My wedding dress was the same way.

-‘I am not a pork chop’ – heard echoing down the stairwell, as an irritated Daniel responded to his brother.

-There are certain guarantees in life – Doug will get a plaid shirt as a gift at Xmas time from his mother (sometimes two), Betsey will bring her spinach dip to the next pot luck, airline travel will suck . . . you get the idea.

-I just remembered that my first and only newspaper editor called me ‘Miss No Comma’ – hope that issue doesn’t bother you.

No comments:

Post a Comment