Monday, January 11, 2010

I thought I could sing

To support the school play, I signed up for the adult chorus. It was clear from the moment I walked in to the first practice that I was out of my league. They handed each of us a big black book with the scores and it was apparent many of the singers could sight read i.e. read a note and literally sing it. Now I can read music but I have no experience with sight reading. This came to light when a few of the notes in one song were apparently wrong - singers were penciling in the correct notes on the staff. I didn't bother because, as I explained, I will be singing strickly by ear.

Or will I? I actually contemplated dropping out after the first practice because the songs were hard. Dam hard. One of them had something like six flats.

I feel like I can sing somewhat and carry a tune but it was hard to pick up any tune in any of the songs. I even asked the choir leader if the songs were hard and he confirmed they were. Why write a song with no tune - I ask?

On the upside, I met more than a few nice people at the practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment