Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Will I be missed?


When I told my neighbor that I was starting a blog he immediately asked me if there was any money in that. No. But then again you never know. Hey I have to occupy myself somehow and have a regular outlet for my writing now that am I fully encapsulated in the life of an unemployed mom. And I know people have noticed my absence from the travel lanes. I used to regularly cross paths with one friend at the swimming pool for my 7 a.m. swim. One morning I showed up early again (my husband covered kid duty) and he immediately asked me “Where have you been?” I explained that I was laid off, I was O.K. with that, and I was still coming to the pool, albeit later. So now he knows why he doesn’t see me anymore. He said I kept wondering “Where that girl went.” You see this is why I love him – I am 43 afterall.

But I used to walk to work. Do the crossing guards notice my absence? I bet they do but they are not calling me a girl. Instead they are wondering where that middle aged lady is who used to walk to work with her red bag. I should take that route too one day before school lets out to say hello to my three acquaintances and let them know why they don’t see me anymore. Or do they care? In any event, it might inspire a column or blog entry or both.

Yes my life has gotten simpler but it’s amazing how you fill the time. Now I have time to get the donuts for Michael’s spring breakfast. Now I have time to go look for the clothes he left after the track meet (and I found them in a mushy pile under the bleachers). Now I have time to swing by the library and drop off the kid’s books - daily. I have time but it’s a strange thing – at times I feel my time is as occupied as before and at times I feel a sense of loneliness when I am home by myself. I guess I’m still adjusting to the unemployed status.

And I’d love to make some cash. People keep suggesting freelance writing so perhaps I’ll have to get back into that.

There are some significant painting chores I can take on if this soggy weather ever dries out – the front porch, the back deck, and numerous window frames.

There are squirrels to deal with. Yes squirrels. After hoeing and planting a full row of peas, I saw the squirrel out there the next day. When I went to investigate – I found holes all along my row. Damn that squirrel. Makes me wonder about the futility of planting the big old garden out back. The varmits have numbers and I am only one. But my husband Doug is talking about getting a pellet gun.

Yes, my world has gotten smaller. My haunts are the library, the pool, and the car for picking up children. I had The Devil Wears Prada on my return pile and my five-year-old son asked me if he had seen it. When I said no, he asked if he could. It’s for older people. “Does it have kissing in it,” he wondered. A little bit. He said he thought he was ready for that. Hmmm.

Sprucing up the house

Oh yes. Besides working on my tan and my tennis game I am tacking household chores full throttle. And I don’t mean ordinary, everyday woman chores. I mean handywoman chores. In the past few weeks I have successfully caulked around the tubs (harder than it sounds), lowered a curtain rod, painted the walls around newly installed windows, and most recently painted the front porch. Yes. I felt so proud of myself because it looks damn good and I am learning new skills. I even said to my husband maybe for my next job I’ll be a handywoman.

First off, I had to clean the porch with bleach powder and lots of elbow grease. Next I applied a bleach solution that I let sit for a day and then I rinsed it off. I bought myself a big old stain brush and stained away. It looks so good I have to go get some white trim paint and touch that up too.

Next I will tackle the back deck. Now I wanted to paint the window frames (we bought new windows a while back) but my husband seemed very leary about my ability. He had primed them and I only had to paint one side. He wasn’t ready to let me paint those but when I suggested we do it together he seemed more eager. So it’s the back deck for now and I see a power washer in my future. The neighbor has one so I might ask to borrow it or I might just rent one. See new skills. I’ve already read that you don’t want to set the pressure too high or the wood will ‘fuzz.’ You can paint over stain but you can’t stain over paint. Makes sense. So speaking of extra cash – if anyone out there needs their deck or porch painted or stained, I’m your gal. And I’ll give you a good rate if you pay me in cash.

The day I painted the porch – I was also on Daniel duty. Are you ready for some action? Besides a couple hours for painting, our day involved a bike ride/walk (the dog and I walked), a trip to the playground/library, tennis, a trip to the paint store, a lunch stop at Subway, and baseball in the backyard. When he asked for me to take him swimming, I said another day this week. He and I were both a little tired and I slept well that night.
In fact, the next day I was even a little sore.

All this activity may be my answer to losing ten pounds. I can discipline myself somewhat eating-wise to lose a little weight but I am better at ramping up the activity. As one of Daniel’s daycare teachers said, “You will be in the best shape of your life.”

I should take a before and after picture – before with desk job and after spending four months with the boys. It could be dramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment