Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The fall from grace

I like to think of myself as a pretty coordinated person but the fall couldn't have been pretty. Though I didn't actually see it I felt it and that feeling was utter helplessness.

After dutifully preparing the dog's dinner, I proceeded to carry her bowl outside and down the ramp. My feet slid out from under me and my elbows, head, ankles (somehow) all hit the deck very hard. To add insult to injury, the dog food was spilled all over my hair. (My head ached so much the next day or two - I couldn't even rest it on the headrest in the car.)

I know what you are thinking. Why didn't she just call the dog and feed her inside or up on the deck. The dog can no longer hear well at all and we have to go find her at feeding time.

After the fall, I lay momentarily stunned and then rolled off the bottom of the ramp to the grass where I cried. My body hurt. I actually was imobilized due to the pain. Also, I was feeling sorry for myself. No one apparently heard the crash. Thus no one rushed to my rescue.

I told the story to a few people for sympathy and got a little. The black marks on my elbows are slowly fading and you bet your bottom dollar I won't go out in my socks again.

My friend Nan said if I died out there someone would have noticed when the dog started bringing in body parts. Very funny. I think someone might have noticed when I wasn't around to cook dinner. We're hungry, where's Mom?

More deck news
The latest project is painting the deck and though I wanted to rent a power washer because I thought it would be fun, I also realize renting things costs money. And since I am not working, I relied on bleach powder, bleach, a scrub brush on a handle and the hose. I will take a picture for you of the finished project.

Just back from the graveyard walk and I met a nice lady with a cocker spaniel with all sorts of problems - according to her. Bad breeding means he's deaf at age seven and has lots of allergies. He kept rubbing his butt on the ground. But he has a sweet personality and that counts for alot.

Blog bog due to puppy search
I keep getting diverted on the computer looking for puppies. AND yes Doug was about to kill me but also relieved. When you start a sentence "I have to confess" and you were only looking at dogs on the Internet, well, things could be worse.

Anyway the nice lady in the graveyard with the Wickford sweatshirt said I could find a Labradoodle or poodle mix on-line. So we'll see. She also wondered why she hadn't seen me before. You see all the graveyard dog walkers know each other. I told her we had an elderly dog who recently died but couldn't walk when alive, I was recently layed off, and now I am walking the remaining dog again.

When I was explaining to her that I thought poodles where weird she was not judgemental in the least but rather said something like "It's good to know what you like." Yes it is. Yes it is. It's also good to know what you want and I want to get another dog/puppy. Help.

1 comment:

  1. ok...sorry about the body parts comment....the dinner thing was too sexist....i'll bet at least some of your guys can cook...my son has a golden doodle; she is very sweet, doesn't shed much and is not stupid, but kind of puts it on.....miss talking to you...finally found my gmail account info

    ReplyDelete