Friday, June 5, 2009

Toto is not my favorite name, but he responds to it


The garden is planted and the household projects I want to do for now are done. There really is an endless amount of things to do. I can think of a few off the top of my head – the interior window frames need painting, the trim outside looks like it needs painting (I don’t want to get on a ladder anyway), the dining room table needs stripping and finishing. But I think I’ve fallen in my old pattern of always needing to do something. Besides there’s plenty of regular maintenance work to do around here like washing, shopping, cooking and the like. And besides that we have a new dog coming tomorrow.

His name right now is Toto. It all happened quite suddenly. You see I spied him on-line and he had the right kind of hair that needs to be clipped (Doug is allergic). And he wasn’t too big. He weighs 28 pounds right now. To make a short story even shorter, I quickly applied and was quickly approved to adopt him. Unfortunately we’ve had to wait over a week for his arrival. But he’s coming tomorrow!

I am already anticipating all the effort that will have to go into his arrival and training. Mostly I need to train him on our electric fence and get him adjusted to our wake up schedule and his sleeping new arrangements. I plan to use a crate at first until we all get used to each other. It will be a bit of an effort to get him trained (or is this negative thinking?) to the fence. You see we can’t just let him out initially like we do with our dog Tia. The first person up will have to take him out on a leash for the first week or so and that will likely have to be me.

I seem to be thinking about all the work and training and not simply about the joy of a new dog. He sounds like a great dog from talking to his foster mom. AND perhaps if I just think things will go swimmingly they will.

More like this: He came home and it was like he has always been living here. I didn’t even have to use the crate because he slept on Tia’s bed with her right away. He didn’t pee in the house EVER and with the fence training flags out around the yard (he had an electric fence at his foster mom’s house) he knew he had to stay in the yard right away. He didn’t chew on thing. I never worried about leaving him alone – not once and he didn’t either because he had Tia’s company. What a good boy. He was definitely meant to be part of our family. If only babies were so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment